Call us for more information
Call Us
Get it Touch
Call us for more information01772-500727
Follow us

We are the Ultra Local Solar Company, bringing Power to the People, one solar panel at a time.


2nd Floor, D11, Millennium Road, Ribbleton, Preston, PR2 5BL


Solar Energy Advances

The Science of Solar Energy: Advancing Efficiency

In this blog post, we will explore the science and how these solar energy advances are making it more efficient. Solar energy is a renewable source of power that has been around for quite some time. In recent years, there has been a growing interest in this form of energy due to its potential to reduce carbon emissions and help combat climate change. However, the adoption of solar energy has been hindered by its efficiency limitations, as well as its high installation costs. Fortunately, advances in solar technology are making it more efficient and affordable for homes and businesses to generate their own electricity.


Solar energy is the process of capturing the energy of the sun and converting it into usable electricity. This is achieved through the use of solar panels, which are made up of photovoltaic (PV) cells. When sunlight hits these cells, it creates a flow of electrons, generating a direct current (DC) that can be converted into alternating current (AC) using an inverter. This AC power can then be used to power homes and businesses.

Solar Energy Advances
Solar Panel


One of the biggest challenges of solar energy is its efficiency limitations. Currently, the average solar panel has an efficiency of around 20%. This means that only 20% of the sunlight that hits the panel is converted into usable electricity, while the remaining 80% is lost as heat. This inefficiency makes solar energy less cost-effective compared to traditional forms of energy. However, advancements in solar technology are addressing this challenge.


There are several advances in solar technology that are improving the efficiency of solar panels.

  1. PERC Solar Cells

One of the most promising advancements in solar technology is the use of passivated emitter and rear cells (PERC). These cells have a layer of silicon oxide on the back that reflects the sunlight back onto the cell, increasing its efficiency. PERC solar cells have an average efficiency of around 22-24%, which is a significant improvement over traditional solar cells.

  1. Bifacial Solar Panels

Bifacial solar panels are another innovation in solar technology. These panels can capture sunlight from both sides, increasing their efficiency. Bifacial solar panels have an average efficiency of around 15-20%, making them a viable option for homes and businesses.

  1. Concentrated Solar Power (CSP)

Concentrated solar power (CSP) is a technology that uses mirrors or lenses to focus sunlight onto a small area, generating heat that can be used to generate electricity. CSP systems have an average efficiency of around 20-30%, making them a promising option for large-scale solar power generation.

Thin film solar panels have efficiencies of 7 to 18 percent
  1. Thin-Film Solar Cells

Thin-film solar cells are a type of solar panel that is made up of a thin layer of PV material. These cells are lightweight and flexible, making them a great option for portable applications. While the average efficiency of thin-film solar cells is lower than traditional solar cells, they are still a viable option for certain applications.


As solar technology continues to advance, the future of solar energy looks bright. In addition to improving the efficiency of solar panels, these advancements are also making solar energy more affordable, the switch to renewables would also save money. The cost of solar panels has decreased significantly in recent years, and it is projected to continue to decrease as technology improves.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *